Monday, August 25, 2008

The Calender is in

Things have been busy and don't look like they are going to slow down any time soon. My visit to the infusion center on Friday revealed that I needed 2 blood transfusions and platelets. Since my appointment wasn't until 3:30 it was too late to put the order in to get it that day. So they said I had to come back Saturday to get those things. Now from experience I know that 1 bag of blood takes at least 2 hrs and platelets take about 45 minutes to infuse. So that means an entire day spent in the infusion center. Usually they just have recliner chairs that you sit in but they gave me a bed this time. I guess they knew that I would be there for a while. So all in all it ended up being 6 hours spent there. I spent most of my time watching movies on my laptop, which made the time go by pretty quick.

Now in an earlier post I revealed that I made a really dumb move while in the hospital and dropped my laptop on the floor. I was hoping that it could be an easy fix. I just haven't had the time to go and see if it is fixable. Then I received a call from a friend of my mom's saying that her husband fixes computers, and they would like to look at mine for me. They even gave me a laptop to use, saying that I could keep it as long as I need one. Well I got the bad news that my computer it toast! So that is a little disappointing but God has provided another one for me to use in the meantime, so that is a blessing.

As for how I have been feeling, things overall have been pretty good. I have had energy and no nausea or vomiting. The only thing I have been experiencing is Saturday night I got this really intense pain in my back and hips. So intense that it was really hard for me even to walk, so sleeping was out of the question. I finally broke down and toke some of my pain medication, which I have been trying to avoid because it makes me nauseated. But I just couldn't handle the pain any longer. The pain is still continuing but is lessening. I now have it all over my body though. After thinking about what the cause would be, the only conclusion I came to was that it is bone pain from the extended neupogen type shot I received on Tuesday. Those kind of shots give you pain in your bones, kind of like growing pains from when you were a kid. I have just gotten a severe reaction to it (more pain than the norm.).

So today I saw my primary doctor at clinic. I asked him to prescribe a different pain med. So he gave me a really strong one. I have taken it in the hospital before and boy does it knock you out. So if I can help it I am only going to take it if I can sleep right after. Other than that we just talked about my upcoming bone marrow transplant. They gave me my calender and to say it lightly I am going to be very busy in these next few weeks. Almost every day is filled with something to do either at clinic or the hospital. Also after my appointment my mom and I attended a Bone Marrow Transplant caregiver class. It was more for my mom, who is going to be my caregiver but it benefited me too. I actually have been doing a lot of reading about this and am getting books about it. I really like to know as much as I can about what this is all about. I mean it is my body, I want to know what to expect. But I continue to avoid fevers at home which is great and am moving forward toward the goal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lins,
We sure do miss you. We wish we were able to come down to SD more often especially before the transplant so you can see the babies. Mikey asks about you all the time! We'll be down on Sunday as long as you're feeling okay and Natalie's little cold stays gone. We love you.
Brandon and Jaimie

Laura Thulesen said...

Lindsay, hey, this is your friend serving in Vanuatu that you met last fall at MWSB in chapel one night. Do you have an address you can give out online? (If not my e-mail is psalm96three@gmail.com). I'd like to send you a postcard with pictures of the lovely people in Vanuatu to add more color to your walls! Know you are prayed for, girl! You are a great witness through your God-honoring blog and I'm sure through your testimony to all the staff at the hospital.
Love in Christ,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay,
Glad to hear you have been able to avoid the nausea and temp. Sounds like everything is falling into place for the transplant... I know you will be glad to have that day finally come. Hope you continue to do well until that time. What a blessing that will be. We think about you often and wish you the best. Robin

Christa Forsythe said...

I love you lyns.... hope you know this.... In the midst of being overwhelmed by my "to do" list.... I paused - read your blog... and was reminded of what really matters! I am praying for you!

bingo~bonnie said...

I'm a first time visitor - found you linked at I'm Sew Happy's blog.

WOW, what a list of things to do - that sucks about your laptop beign dropped.. but good that you do have another to use now! What an amazing battle you are preaparing for.

I pray that your transplant goes well. I'm sure you will do everything the doctors order. My husband and I got on the registery a few years back when a little boy we knew had lukemia.

and now that I'm a mother...especially now... I pray that if I'm ever determined a match for anyone out there that I can be able to help him/her out!

God uses people in mysterious ways...and just you wait and see Lyndsay -he is gonna use you too!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

bingo~bonnie said...

oh, and you may think it's neat to find out where people are readign your blog from... I just added them to both of my blogs. :)

http://www.neoworx.net/blue/index.php?tool_id=89023

this is just one available - there are others.