Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Back Home (Day +20)

I am pleased to report that I am back at home and not at the "resort" anymore. I got discharged on Monday due to me convincing the doctors that I was well enough to go home. They agreed and here I am back in the real world again. It was so nice to get out of bed and walk again. I have to say the first time I stepped out of my room to walk to the nursing station I thought my legs were going to collapse. I can best describe them as wet noodles. I guess you lose muscle pretty quick when you are unable to leave your room for 3 weeks straight. I know that day by day my muscles will get stronger, but it is definitely weird for me to have a hard time just walking around or going up stairs. The simple things that came so effortlesly before. But so far things at home have been pretty good. I am eating better than I was in the hospital with some nausea. I just think that my love for spicy food might have take a backseat for a little while. I need to realize that my stomach can't handle everything it used to right now. The only thing that I have really been struggling with since I have been home is sleeping. In the past 2 nights I think I have gotten a total of 5 hours sleep combined. I have just been laying there so restless with my mind going a million miles an hour. I have no idea why this is happening, I have never been one that has struggled with sleep. I am just hoping that it resolves it self fast because frankly I am exhausted.

As for today, it was my first appointment at the infusion center since my discharge. I arrived there at 11:30 am and didn't leave until about 5:30 pm. So needless to say it was quite the long day. All of my blood counts looked good but I had low potassium and magnesium. So that meant a 4 hour infusion. This was my first real experience of having to spend an entire day there. I now know I am going to try to bring more things to entertain myself, because that was the longest 4 hours ever. If you are looking at my times thinking 11:30 to 5:30 is 6 hours and not 4 you are correct. Not only do you have to stay to get replacements, but when you go in it takes usually 1-2 hours for your lab results to come back after they draw your blood. So hopefully this will not be an occurrence every time I go to get labs drawn since I go three times a week. But I am starting to take magnesium supplements at home now so hopefully that will help out a little. Tomorrow I have nothing to do so hopefully I can get some good rest at home because Friday I have three appointments to go to. Busy times!!! I have a feeling my Day 100 is going to be here before I know it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
So glad you felt like writing. Sounds like a long day today, but at least you can take it easy tomorrow. Just think, 1/5 of your 100 days are gone. It will be here before you know it. I don't know if they've told you yet, but Melissa, Jaimie and Brandon( I can't believe He is joining them) are all doing the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure in a week or so. I think it is around 3 miles....would love to see that! I sponsored all 3 of them in "your honor." Keep feeling better and getting stronger. Always, Robin

Christa Forsythe said...

Lyns,

So glad you are home! I will be praying you can get some rest... how frustrating it is to just lay there... I love ya!

cgf

Kathy Raker said...

What wonderful news you are home now. It's awlful when you can't sleep. Try reading for awhile or a warm cup of milk before retiring in the evening( if your stomach can handle it).
Blessings,
Kathy

Team Bowman said...

Hi Lyndsay,

I am so glad to hear you are home! Maybe you will be able to adjust to being home, and rest. I will be praying for that!
Being a Mom, I know I spend nights awake just thinking. Can't shut my brain off. I don't know if you can stomach it, but warm milk really works!

We will continue to pray for you my Dear, it does sound like your 100 days will go by fast, especially now that you are home.
Lots of love and hugs,
Lesley

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay,
Just wanted to say hi. Hope you are feeling stronger and your appointments went well today. Hope to hear from you soon. Robin