Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day +27

I am sitting here in the infusion center watching the Price is Right. I think I have turned into one of those older people that sit home every morning and are addicted to the Price is Right. I know that because all of the commercials in between the show are for medicare, diabetes and motorized wheelchairs. Actually I have been watching the Price is Right since I was like 8 years old. I used to love when I would be home sick from school because that was the only time I would be able to watch it. I was going to go on the show on my 18th Birthday, but I ended up being in Montana on my 18th Birthday so was not able to. So maybe someday I will make my way to the show. As for now it is my entertainment from 10:00 to 11:00 every morning.
So hopefully today I will not be in here long. They actually got an order to start my Magnesium replacements right away, even before my labs actually get back. This is because for the past several times I have needed the replacements so most likely I am going to need them again. It is good because it is saving me a lot of time just sitting here waiting and doing nothing. But I have still been feeling pretty good. I think I am gaining my strength back little by little and am able to eat a lot more "normal" meals now. I am so pleased and happy with how I am doing, I honestly couldn't have asked to be better. I have seen so many people that are really struggling at this stage in the game, I feel extremely blessed to be doing as well as I am right now. Thanks be to God and everyone for their continued prayers. But as I am celebrating my success so far I am thinking of another girl who is really struggling right now. Her name is Erica Murray and she received a bone marrow transplant on April 29 of this year. I found her blog on the Internet when I first got diagnosed. She is a 29 year old girl who is living in San Francisco for her treatment but was living in Boston when she got diagnosed. She has been a huge encouragement to me during my time receiving treatment by reading experience. She is almost 6 months post transplant now and I just found out that she relapsed with Leukemia a few days ago. It just broke my heart, I could not even believe it when I read it. I know how much she has gone through only too well. I can not even imagine what she is feeling and the thoughts going through her head right now. I just ask that if you think of it pray for her. She seems like a very strong independent girl, but I know she must be hurting right now.

I know I have said this before but I have learned so much through this whole process that I am going through. Not only in life but a lot about cancer and the human body and how we function. Before I actually got diagnosed with Leukemia I am almost embarrassed to say that I didn't even know what it was. I had no idea it was a cancer and knew nothing about it. Now that it has affected me in such a personal way I feel it is my job to make others aware of it. I know there are a lot of people who are just like I was, and I guess if it has never effected you in some way there is no reason for you to know details about it. Now I am so happy to share my experience with anyone who wants to listen and offer all the knowledge I have about it. To make people aware of how greatly this cancer affects people and not just small children but people of all ages. This is why I feel so blessed to have Mike and Dawn running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to raise money for research and to hopefully one day find a cure. But my mom has also taken on a little thing of her own. In a week and a half my mom and brother are going to walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society in my name. My mom is hoping to raise $500 and is a little over half way there. If you would like to donate towards her walk the website is www.lightthenight.org. Then in the participant's name type Lisa Nishioka. It excites me when people I know say they are going to do these walks or marathons for cancer. I am hoping that one day I am going to be able to join them in participating in a walk or even a marathon somewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay,
I am so glad you are doing well. You are serving a special purpose in life educating so many people who never understood the impact that leukemia and all cancers, have on not only the patient, but family and friends. You have brought a lot of people together through their thoughts and prayers for you. Enjoy these good days, and continue to get stronger. So glad to hear such positive news from you. Always, Robin

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that your are starting to feel stronger each day! That is my powersong "I get a Little Stronger Everyday" by Michael W. Smith I'll have ot get you a copy! It can be yours too!
Hugs,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Your awesome Lyndsay. You just keep getting better and we'll keep praying! Love you
Denese