Saturday, October 25, 2008

Light the Night

The UCSD team tent.

My Mom, Natalie and Brandon.

My BMT Coordinator Peggy.

My nurse practitioner Carrie and another
lady from the BMT team.


Yesterday was a full day for a lot of people in the UCSD BMT unit. I had a long day because I had an appointment at the infusion center for blood work, and needed 4 hours of magnesium replacements. Not so much fun! I also had an appointment with Dr. Curtin, my primary doctor. Things are still going really well. The only thing that has changed with me in the past couple days is that my small rash started to spread a little more on my arms and neck. He wasn't too concerned right now because it still isn't that bad. He said it probably is a little GVHD. I have some topical cream that I am putting on it and just have to report if it starts getting a lot worse. If it ends up getting a lot worse they will have to put me on some meds to control it. I am supposed to meet with dermatology sometime to get it checked out a little better. Until then I am just suffering from the itch that this wonderful rash is bringing, but the cream is helping a little. I did receive some really good news from my bone marrow biopsy. It came back looking really good and free of any residual leukemia. Hip Hip Hooray!!! The first hurdle is over. Lets just hope and pray that every one from here on after declares the same great news. They were not able to tell me if my donors have taken completely over yet. I should get that information sometime soon.

I say that it was a long day for everyone because last night was the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My mom, brother and even my little niece all did the walk in my name. It was at night and everyone walked around Qualcom Stadium with illuminated balloons. White balloons were for survivors, red were for supporters and gold were for in memory of those that have passed away due to blood cancers. Overall there were over 3,000 people that participated in the walk last night. A lot of my BMT team at UCSD participated in the walk with their families. My mom and brother joined the "UCSD team" that included doctors, nurses and patients. All together there were like 75 of them. It is so neat because this just shows how much we are all like a family in this BMT unit. It is definitely not like a "normal" doctor, patient relationship. It is so involved and it gets so personal that you really develop relationships with all of the nurses and doctors. I hear about their lives and families when I have appointments. It makes going to the doctor a lot more enjoyable, especially for as often as I go. So from everything I heard the walk was a success. They were able to raise a lot of money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society which will help in research and finding a cure someday. Carrie, my nurse practitioner told my mom that next year at the walk we are going to see Lyndsay carrying a white balloon. I can't wait!! If I am not out here I will definitely find the walk where I am, because they have them all over the country. Thanks to everyone who participated and donated toward the cause. You are really helping to make a difference in a lot of peoples lives.

5 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

Praise the Lord!!!! That your biopsy came back clean! I am so excited to hear that! Hugs and love from Montana.. this chilly (17 degrees), clear morning!

love,
me

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
What awesome news!!! Couldn't be happier for you and your family. Now, we await the news that your donor cells have taken over and are completing their job. It sounds like the Light the Night was a great success. I know a lot of people donated in your honor, and that will hopefully help many others who are facing the journey you are on. Take care and stay encouraged by all the great news you have received. We are all thinking of you. Robin

Team Bowman said...

Hi Lyndsay,
God is so good! Praise Him that your biopsy came back normal. That is the greatest news ever! I will continue to pray about the donor cells taking over. Time will tell.
I am also so glad to hear how well the Light the Night event went. It is good so see the faces of the awesome people who have been so active in your care!

Take care sweetie!
Lesley

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay,
Just wanted to say hi. Hope all is well this week.
Take care, Robin

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, ROBIN