Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back for a Visit

Last Friday came along and I had a wonderful day of thrift store shopping with my mom. We lucked out because everything was 1/2 off at the Salvation Army and we were able to find some amazing deals on things that looked pretty much brand new. We pretty much spent all day out and I was very worn out come the end of the day. Then as I was trying to fall asleep that night I found my stomach acting up and before I knew it I was vomiting uncontrollably. Yuck!!! I wasn't able to get any sleep that night, so I spent the next day laying in bed next to my mom while I continued to be unable to keep any fluids or medicine down. I felt pretty miserable, something I haven't experienced for quite a while now. So Saturday was spent trying to get better but come Sunday I was still going through all this yucky stuff. So yep you guessed it we had to make a call to the BMT doctor on call Sunday and they said that I needed to come into the ER right away.
We made the drive down to San Diego Sunday night and had a "great" visit to the emergency room. I was very dehydrated and in a lot of pain. After talking through things and spending 7 hours in the ER they decided it would be best to admit me in the hospital. It had been 7 months since I have had the privilege to stay at the "resort in La Jolla" (: I was really hoping to make it at least a year but I guess it wasn't in the cards for me. They gave me lots of fluids and ran lots of different tests to try to figure out why I randomly keep having these vomiting episodes. All my tests so far have come back clear which is good but it is frustrating at the same time because we still have no idea why this is still happening. They are switching meds around AGAIN, hoping to figure out a way to control these episodes with still getting me off the steroids. A hard task to say the least. So I was released and able to come home yesterday afternoon. Four days in the hospital was plenty of time for me. It was really nice to see all the nurses and doctors on 3 West that I haven't seen in quite a while. I was able to catch up with them, like seeing old friends. They were so happy to see me but not at the same time. One of those bitter sweet situations. They really don't want me to be there but enjoy talking with and seeing me again. It was neat because I was able to chat with one of the nurses Jessica that I have gotten to know over the course of my treatments. She actually lived across the street from us when we lived in the apartment by the hospital. She was going on a backpacking trip this past Fall and back in August I had helped her buy her equipment for the trip and given her some advice and tips on the little I know about backpacking. It was fun to hear about her trip though and catch up on what we both have been doing. I love and am so thankful for the relationships that I have been able to develop through this time.
So anyways I am back home now and feeling a whole lot better. I just hope that some of these things get figured out eventually. But for now I am enjoying my own bed and room again. Also my wonderful puppies (they are dogs but I call them my pups). They really have a hard time while I am gone, they seem to know that something is wrong and have a lot of anxiety. So all is well and I am recovering from another stay at the hospital. It always takes me time to catch up on sleep because you definitely don't get too much sleep or rest while staying in the hospital. All I have to say now is it is good to be home!!!

3 comments:

JessicaSews said...

Only short visits there allowed, Lyndsay! I'm praying-praying that all is well.
~ Jes

Christa Forsythe said...

I am sooo sad to hear you were in the hospital!!!! I hope you continue to feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds,
I am glad to hear you're home again. Keep getting better! I've been thinking of you, and occasionally praying for you (like every time you come to mind!)
Jenny