Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cooking Class- Mood Foods


Today was another Tuesday spent at the Cancer Center doing the same ol' routine. We did add a little spice to our routine by taking a nutritional cooking class. They offer a new class every month with a different topic of focus. This month's focus was mood foods. It was a really awesome class with a ton of great recipes. I tryed a lot of things I didn't think I would like but ended up loving every recipe. They demonstrated how to cook each recipe and then we got to eat all the yummy food, and I am not just talking a little taste. I mean full size portions of each recipe. It ended up being a great lunch I didn't know I was going to have. Here is the list of foods that were in the class today.


-Beet, Chickpea, and Almond dip with Jicama

-Carrot with Toasted Almond Soup

-Spicy Asian-Style Pasta Salad

-Scallops in Orange/Ginger Sauce with Raspberries and Mint

-Roasted Chicken Breast with Salsa/Dijon Marinade

-Orange-Infused Roasted Green Beans & Red Peppers

-Poached Pears with Chocolate-Pear Sauce

-Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies


I would love to share every recipe on here but that would be way too much typing, so I just thought I would share my favorite one of the bunch. It is the Poached Pears with Chocolate-Pear Sauce. This is actually one that I thought sounded not that appealing, but I ended up LOVING it!!! So here is the recipe Enjoy!!


*Melting the chocolate in the pear poaching liquid makes an instant sauce.


1 cup pear nectar
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup sugar
4 slightly under-ripe pears, peeled, halved, cored
4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Stir pear nectar, white wine and sugar in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and syrup comes to a boil. Add pears to syrup in saucepan. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pears are tender, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to plate. Increase heat to medium-high and boil poaching liquid until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add Chocolate; whisk until chocolate melts and sauce is smooth.

Place 1 warm pear half, cut side up, on each plate. Top with vanilla ice cream (if desired) and warm chocolate sauce. Or cover pears and chocolate sauce separately and refrigerate up to 2 days; then serve pears cold with ice cream and sauce, rewarming sauce, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)










3 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

Sometimes different categories of taste do not sound at all like they would be good together, but I guess you just have to be brave and try them!!! Gotta love cooking!

JessicaSews said...

Excellent and how Fun Is That!!!

Did Mom go with you to the class?
It's fun to share notes with someone, especially trying new foods.

My MIL introduced us to Jicama. Then, when I got ill and needed huge doses of Vit. C, my neighbor started growing Kohlrabi for me. I like both vegetables because they are mild compared to a radish - they get peeled/diced into summer salads! ...have to add, I would have walked by these at the market because I didn't know better!

Enjoy the classes, Lyndsay! Cooking is just another art!

Thank you for sharing the recipe...looks good. :)

~Jes & family

Therapy4help said...

When you discover somebody who applies both licensed massage therapy and certified massage therapy, inquire that individual for what types of massage he or she specializes.