Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Good News.....Finally!!

So I haven't written in a while because stupid me dropped my laptop while in the hospital. I am hoping that it can just be fixed, but if not I guess I am getting a new one. The computer is like my lifeline in there, so I know that I need one.
So I guess your wondering is that the good news? Fortunately that isn't the good news. There are actually a few things to report. First, my bone marrow biopsy came back clean! Yeah!!! Finally after three rounds of intense chemotherapy I am finally in remission. The Leukemia is finally out of my bone marrow. Not for good, but this is where I need to be for the next step of the process.
Which is where the next piece of news comes in. They have found a bone marrow match for me. There are 10 markers that make up an HLA typing (a bone marrow typing). A 10 out of 10 would be a perfect match. They found a 9 out of 10 for me which is really good. Obviously a perfect would be the best but they were very happy with a 9 for me. I have an uncommon typing because of the Japanese in me, so they knew it would be hard to find me a match. My doctor even told me that he didn't think they would be able to find one and he thought that we would have to go to umbilical cord transplant. So he was very pleased. I am also very happy that they were able to find one so quickly. Now it is up to the donor to find out when they are available to do their part. They give them several dates and ask which will work for them. So they can set up a date for transplant for me. My doctor is hoping that we can do it within the next couple weeks so I will not have to go through another round of chemo to keep me in remission. But if not they are hoping to at least set up for transplant sometime in August. I am happy this is happening quickly, because the sooner I have it the sooner I can get on with my life. Recovery is a very long time after, most of the time it is a year before you can go back to "normal life". So I want to get on with this as soon as possible.
The last bit of news to report is that I am actually home right now. I was discharged yesterday, and will hopefully be able to be here for a couple weeks this time. It feels so good to be out of the hospital right now. Just to be able to move around without an IV pole and to get a good nights sleep without being woken up for vitals every few hours. It might also be a busy time though, because we are looking at moving right now. As of now we live an hour away from the hospital minus traffic (and when does So. Cal not have traffic). The doctors say it is too far away for me to be away from the hospital, especially during transplant. So it is pretty much a requirement for me to live within 15 minutes of the hospital in case of emergency. So we are looking for an apartment in San Diego. Of course the hospital is in the richest part of San Diego, so things aren't cheap. That is why we are searching for an apartment. The nice thing is it is only 5 minutes from the ocean. So beautiful weather!!! But of course the one time where I live right next to the ocean I won't even be able to go in it. But that is alright, my goal is to get back to my beautiful mountains in Montana anyway. I have always been much more of a mountain person than a ocean person anyway.
Well, sorry this is so long. But I am glad to actually report some good news for once. We have been waiting for some good news to happen and finally it did. So lets keep this good news rolling and I hope to report a lot more of it in the future.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
I are so glad you are home, even for a short time. I think about you often and keep you and your mom and dad in my prayers everyday.I hope the transplant is very soon so you can begin your recovery. I admire your strength and wish you the best.
Much love,
Robin Aguirre

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay ,
YAHOO for the good news !!
We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
Keep on with the good fight !!
Much Love to you and your family !

Karen Fontana

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!! I was so excited to read your post today, and especially to hear the wonderful news. I'm still praying for you Lynds!
Love you!

Martine said...

Hi Lynsay,
I am so glad to hear you are home. It must be great. I will continue to pray for you, your family and donor. Keep your spirits up.
Love and Hugs,
Martine

JessicaSews said...

Lyndsay -
That is very good news!

Hope the apartment hunt
goes well.

Hugs to you and family,
~ Jes

Gena K said...

Lyns!
I am so glad to hear an update! I'm blessed to be a part of your journey! Praise God for good news! Love you dear friend!
~Gena~

Anonymous said...

Yay for being home! You have been on my heart and Jud and I have been praying for you! So glad to hear the upturn of events! I know He will continue to provide for you! You are loved my friend :)

'lish

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay,

I was so glad to hear about your good news today. You don't know me but I heard about you from Lindsay Mattison on the HGTV Quilting Forum. She has continued to keep us posted on your progress & what Our Lord is doing in your life. I continue to pray for you & your mom during this time in your life. God bless you & keep you safe!

Love in Christ,

Nicki (nlk)

PositiveDawn said...

That is such cool news! This is such an answer to prayers! We'll keep praying!!!!
Dawn & Mike