Monday, September 1, 2008

The amazing acts of kindness of others

Since my diagnosis with Leukemia I have been so blessed by the love, prayers and gifts of so many people. I have reconnected with many people I have not talked to in ages and have become so much closer with those that are in my family. I have been overwhelmed by the love that everyone has sent my way. I just wanted to write about five people or groups that are truly a blessing to me. I am amazed at the kindness that they have given to me.

1. Jerry, Loren, Jane and Mike: After talking with my Doctor in Montana when he gave me my diagnosis he suggested that I receive my treatment out in California. This was because of my family being out here and the fact that there are "better" treatment centers that specialize in Leukemia and Bone Marrow Transplants. He suggested UCSD because he trained out here when he was going through medical school. We knew that I needed to get treatment soon since my diagnosis was Acute meaning I needed treatment NOW! It was a Monday afternoon and I got a call in my room from my Doctor saying he pulled some strings and got me an appointment in San Diego at 4:00 pm on Wednesday. He said that I needed to find someway to get there. Well, considering it was late in the day on Monday and it takes 24 hours to drive to California and we probably couldn't drive straight through because of my condition, that seemed like an unlikely option. Then you have all the germs on commercial flights, so that wasn't a good option either. Then we got a truly amazing miracle from God. It was a friend of a friend of a friend type situation. Where someone back in California had relatives in Great Falls who knew someone who had a private plane who often did "angel flights". So in a matter of a day we got in contact with and met these people. The pilot Loren flew my mom and I out on Wednesday morning and we got in San Diego at 2:30 pm. Truly an amazing story!!! I will be forever grateful for their giving and selfless act of kindness.

2. MWSB Staff: MWSB is the Bible college that I was working at when all of this happened. It was at probably the worst time that it could happen; graduation week. I was in charge of all the food and had all the planning to do. Even though it was a crazy week for everyone, still the staff made the 1 1/2 hour drive everyday to come and see me. Someone would always be there to spend the night with me. They truly helped me to feel that I wasn't alone in this. Even after leaving Montana to come to California for treatment they have continued to show me endless support. I know that they are one of my biggest prayer warriors and they offer me encouragement through letters and phone calls every week. Micah has helped me with all of the health insurance stuff and they are continuing to help me out with paying bills and insurance premiums. Honestly my biggest goal for getting better and through this is so I could go back to work there. Everyone has become like my second family and I can't wait to join them in ministry again, Lord willing. My thanks to them for offering me spiritual encouragement during this time.

3. HGTV Message Board: My mom is on the HGTV message boards. A message board where those that quilt, sew and do craft like things post and talk with one another. One of the ladies Lindsay that my mom has gotten to know has organized to make me a quilt. So everyone on this board knows of my story and many have volunteered to make a block for this quilt. So here there are people from all over this country that I have never met making me a quilt. How crazy is that! I am still amazed at how many people know of my situation and are offering their love even though they have never met me personally. Thanks to all those who toke the time to make a block for this quilt.

4. Mike and Dawn Johnson: Dawn is a member of my mom's little quilting group that she has out here. It is just made up of a lot of friends and family. Her and her husband are Christians and have been praying since they heard of my diagnosis of something they could do for me. After a while they just felt that they should run a marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in my name. So right now they are both training to run this marathon on January 11th 2009 at Walt Disney World in Florida. They are now training with a team here in San Diego and I am their honorary team member. They are hoping to raise $8,000 dollars between the the two of them for the charity. If you want to know more about their progress or to donate, check out their blog page: http://www.ourbigrun.blogspot.com/. When I heard of what they were doing I was so blown away. It is one of the greatest gifts knowing that this is going to help in research to find a cure and better treatments for Leukemia. Thanks Mike and Dawn, and good luck training!

5. My Bone Marrow Donor: How can I even begin to thank someone for potentially saving my life? With having a uncommon HLA typing we all knew that it was going to be hard to find me a donor. I know that a large percentage of people who need a transplant are unable to find a match, so I am extremely grateful that they were able to find me one. Not only that but the fact that the whole process is happening rather quickly compared to a lot of other patients. I am unable to actually contact my donor until a year post transplant due to privacy agreements. Then after a year if both parties agree we could exchange information or even meet. The only things I have been told about my donor is that it is a male, he is 50 years old, in very good health and lives somewhere in Europe. So my donor is international and not here in the states. How selfless can one be to take time some time out of their life to donate bone marrow to someone they have never met. I am extremely grateful to this person, whoever it is.

3 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

I am so glad you know how much you are loved... because you ARE... SO LOVED! AND MISSED!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you know by the love and support what an awesome person you are. Robin

Anonymous said...

Lynds, I'm so grateful that you published all of these wonderful stories. We truly serve an Incredible God!
Love you and am praying for you!
Melanie