Monday, September 29, 2008

Day +11

It seems like my tree just keeps
getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger.
I stare at this sign everyday from across my
bed. Things may not be easy but my faith will
make it possible.

Sorry for not updating in a while here. Things have been happening and I have been having my good days and my bad days. More bad days than good days lately. As you know from my previous post things started to happen the day after transplant and I had all these stomach issues and what not. That persisted for 2-3 days and then things started to look up a bit and I started to feel a lot better for like 2 days. Then things started to hit me even harder like a ton of bricks. I developed those sores down in my throat where I could no longer eat or drink. I have continued to be on IV nutrition and fluids to keep my body healthy. Most of my meds are continuing to be given to me in IV because of my inability to swallow. Another thing that has been hard is to keep my nausea under control. I am on every nausea med imaginable, I think right now. Also to help control the pain in my mouth and throat they have put me on a PCA (Patient controlled analgesic). It is on a constant drip of Dilaudid, which is one of the strongest pain meds you could receive and a med even WAY stronger than Morphine is. I also have a little button I can push whenever I feel that I am in need of more. The first couple days where pretty rough everyone trying to figure out the best "plan" regimen to put me on for it. But today I think it was finally figured out and the pain is being controlled quite nicely. The only affects that I get are really itchy skin and feeling really tired. But it seems when one thing gets under control another opens and shows it's ugly face. Though my pain is getting under control and I feel like I can swallow, my stomach is still saying no, no, no!!! I have tried to eat a few things today and every time they have come right back up. So I am finding it just easier to live the day with no food. Thank goodness I get enough nutrition from my trustee IV pole. I have been sleeping most of the day and when I am not sleeping I am just lying there because motion induces my nausea.

My doctors came in and said none of this is to be alarmed about. It just simply happens and we have to go through it. It is phase 1 of the post transplant recovering. This is mostly recovering from the after effects of the chemo and radiation. I am hopefully going to start engrafting this next week and producing some white blood cells (hopefully my donors). Then we go on to phase 2 where we wait and look for signs of GVHD (Graft Verses Host Disease) and deal with the affects of that. They can be anywhere from mild to severe. So I am hoping for the mild side, but I know everyone does. I guess I am going to have to be strong and deal with it either way. So just wanted to update as I have this short time when I am feeling good enough to do this. Thanks for checking the updates. And thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. I love you all!!!

P.S. I am excited for my next entry. When I am feeling up to it I have a wonderful thing to write about a package I received a couple days ago. I am excited! When I am feeling up to writing, that post is going to be next.

4 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

Lyns... it is so good to hear from you! It just reminds me of the battle you are fighting and I feel like I barely have any understand of what you are facing on a minute to minute bases. As I am stressed out about getting the newsletter finished, preparing Bible Study and class for the Venture students - you are fighting for your life - really helps me to put things into perspective! Reading your blog - reminds me to pray more and to write you more letters! I miss you friend - thanks for your transparency - your friendship... you are a treasure and I love you!

Team Bowman said...

Hi Lyndsay,

It is so good to hear from you. After not hearing anything, I just kept praying more! It is good to hear you have had a reprieve for now. Sometimes that is just what you need to refocus! I hope the engrafting happens soon.

Thinking and praying for you,
Lesley

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
It is really nice to hear from you...I have been so worried about you, knowing you have not been feeling well. Hopefully, this was the worst of it, and better days are to follow. I will be praying that the engrafting begins soon, and with the right cells! Hopefully, any diffucult days to come will be much easier than the past week. Get plenty of rest, get strong, and look to the future when these times are behind you. There are so many people thinking of you and supporting your fight. We are all looking forward to the day you are well enough to come home again. Take care and thanks for the update. Lots of Love, Robin

Anonymous said...

qvnySo good to hear from you. Wish I could take your pain and nausea away. You are brave.
You will be an expert in the Pharmasutical business, if you know what I mean.
Everytime I think of YOU the word COURAGE screams at me. You embody COURAGE. I know those cells will go where they are suppose to or I'll come down there and give them one of my lectures. Just out of boredom and fear that I will continue, they will do as directed.LOL
The kids were sneezing at Pug Tails today so I'd better stay away til the safe period comes by.
11 days and counting, over 10% of the time has passed. The countdown continues.
Love you
You and your MOM give a hug and pretend I'm there with you.
Love Bonnie