Thursday, September 18, 2008

Transplant Day!! (Day 0)

Happy 2nd Birthday to me.
The cooler my cells came in.

The nurse checking off the bag before it gets
hung.


My new cells.

It is almost reaching me!

Those pre meds really did make me tierd.

Well today was the day. The day that I received my bone marrow transplant from a man all the way across the world that I have never even met. I was told he is probably from Germany, which is kind of cool to think of the actual country that this man is from. I have been told though that because it is an international donor, I probably will not be able to contact this person for 2 years post transplant instead of a year for those that are domestic. In the meantime I am able to write him letters and thank you cards just as long as I do not mention any specifics and they have to be screened by a board before they are sent. So I am going to be eternally grateful to this person for giving me a second chance at life. I just hope someday I will actually be able to thank this man in person or through a phone conversation.

As for the transplant things went well. I received the infusion of cells at 3:30 pm today. It was very anti-climatic as I was told that it would be. You would think that such a huge thing and something that can change your life would involve more than just a bag of what looks like blood getting infused into you. But that was exactly what it was, a bag of cells that was infused for 1 1/2 hours. I had no reactions to it and slept through a lot of the transfusion due to the pre meds that I received. Now it is just the waiting game. Waiting to see how my body is going to respond to these new cells that they do not recognize as their own. Hopefully I will handle the whole thing well and be in the hospital for as little time as possible. I guess only the days will tell.

Thank you to everyone for their love and prayers that have been sent my way. I have defiantly felt blessed by all the support of everyone all over this world. It has been amazing to me! The cards and notes have been very encouraging and the prayers mean more than you could ever know. I know I am going to get through this and just know that every person who I know and those that I have never even met have played a huge role in my recovery and the support that I am needing to get through this. God is going to remain faithful, this I know!

12 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

Happy Re-Birthday... just think this is your 3rd birthday! I have been checking your blog ALL day long... anxious to see if by chance you would post something. We all have been praying allllll day long and we will continue to pray!

Tears are in my eyes, because I just love you so much and I just am praying that God will take these cells and bring life back into your body! I really wish I could have given them too you! loving you friend!

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay:

Happy Re-Birthday! You have travelled such a long and difficult road to reach this day, and now you have hope, love and health coursing through your body. It will take a few days for it all to begin growing, but it will, and one day at a time you will be stronger. Know that we are all praying and thinking about you. There are 100+ of us running around Miramar Lake this weekend with you on our minds, knowing that if we can help bring an end to this terrible disease, we would run hundreds of miles further. It is nothing compared to what you have faced. Be strong. Feel our love. Recover so we can hug you.

Greg Dowell -- Team in Training

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
What a wonderful day this is! Congratulations and Happy Birthday. I am so glad you were up to writing tonight...I too, have been checking all day to see if there was any news. It is amazing to see the pictures and know what a difference that little bag will make in your life. What a truly wonderful gift for someone to give. Hang tough, be strong, rest as much as you can and know how much you are thought of. Give my love to your mom and dad, as I know they are celebrating your new birthday! Much love, Robin

JessicaSews said...

Dear Lyndsay!

Oh, those are happy photos!!
Thank you for sharing the good news of today with everyone! We are all rejoicing and giving TTG!

Rest!

You are in our Prayers!
~ Jessica & Family

PositiveDawn said...

Lyndsay,

Happy Re-Birthday! We know that there is still a long way to go, but from here the days count forward…Day 100 is even closer now!!! Our prayers continue with every step we run. You are our inspiration and it is our honor to be included in this journey that you are on.
Love & Prayers,

Dawn & Mike

Anonymous said...

Lynds, I can hardly believe that you've already recieved your tranplant, wow! We are praying hard that your body will recieve those cells well and that this will be a success. I love you!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyndsay! I haven't had the chance to meet you yet, but I'm training with some friends or yours... Wishing you all the best and a quick recovery! Looking forward to meeting you! And remember, if we can't jump over life's hurdles, we'll limbo under them! You're amazing!

-Bree Montes, TNT

Team Bowman said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Lyndsay!
Such an amazing thing is happening, the picture of your new cells almost reaching you is one that will stay in my mind.

We will be continuing to pray that your body will accept your new cells, and that you can have a quick recovery.
God is good!!!

Lesley

Anonymous said...

Lynds! I have tears in my eyes thinking of you and how God is faithful to you! We continue to pray for your recovery time! Love you!
'lish

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lyndsay. I have been keeping up with you through Sherry Branham. I, too, have had a bone marrow transplant for chronic myologenous leukemia. My birthday is September 21, 1990....tomorrow I will celebrate my 18th birthday and to celebrate with me, my donor and his wife are here from London, England. This is our third meeting.
I will be watching your blog and keeping up with your progress. Lyndsay, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Michelle Oldaker

JessicaSews said...

Dear Lyndsay,

It's Saturday Evening and we know you are going through a lot of rest. We're lifting you in our prayers - praying for your comfort and praying for your strength.
There are many, many arms around you and your family!
In His Love,
~ Jessica & Family

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Thinking of you. Hope all is well.
Robin