Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lots to do!

Today was a busy day at the clinic and hospital. I first visited the infusion center at 9:30 am for lab draws and waited till my results came back. When I received my results the nurse said that I had a very low potassium level and a low magnesium level so I would need replacements. I wasn't too shocked about the potassium because I often need it, but this was the first time I ever needed magnesium. They said that it would take 4 hours for all the infusions. Well I had two other appointments so I would have to get unhooked to go to the appointments and then get hooked back up to finish my infusions. I was thinking "great, I am going to be here till they close". They then talked with my doctor for him to OK the potassium order and he thought that something didn't look right in my chemistry levels. He wanted the nurse to draw my labs again. After getting the second results it revealed that I was fine and didn't need any replacements. Yeah for a doctor who pays attention to those things. So I was able to go home for an hour in between appointments.

My next appointment was at 1:00 pm with my bone marrow coordinator and my doctor. This was the "fun" appointment. The time when they told me of all the possible things that could go wrong with the transplant and what to expect and when to expect it. I had to sign several consent forms and go through all of the paperwork that is involved with a bone marrow transplant. Earlier in the day we were talking with a wife of a patient who just had a bone marrow transplant. She was saying be prepared not to get a good nights sleep after going through that session. Well honestly most of the things he told me I had already heard before. I have read a lot about this already so I feel that I have been preparing myself for it. Also I just seem to have a peace about the whole thing. I am more excited than scared about this. I mean I don't have any other option and this could get me my life back again, so lets do it!!!! I love my doctor though, he is one of the most optimistic doctors I have ever met. Some might not like that but I really appreciate the fact that he wants to give you some hope. He is always joking around in our appointments and talking about his family. He is a very personable guy and I feel so blessed to have him as my doctor. So things are signed and ready for transplant!!

My final appointment of the day was at the hospital to get a CT scan of my chest. This is due to the time when I got really sick in the hospital and I got that really bad infection. They have been keeping me on antibiotics to fight it off. I have been doing this IV antibiotic at home as well. So the CT was just to check that all of the infection is now gone and they could get me off this antibiotic. I am going to be so happy to not have to wake up early and stay up late to do that wonderful IV.

So after a long day of appointments my mom and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at PF Chang's. Such good Chinese food. I would recommend getting the Chang's Spicy Chicken if you ever go there. It is pretty much amazing! I am enjoying some good food before I get this transplant since I know I am going to be pretty restricted for several months. Then we went to Target because I thought it would be a good time right before everyone gets off work. Well everyone and their kid decided it would be a good time as well. Back to School time, oh I guess I forgot. So it was pretty crowded and probably not the best place for me to be. I just had to get a file box to organize all my medical stuff. Boy do I have a whole lot of that, and it is all over my room right now. So hopefully I can get things in order before transplant. At least that's my goal. Oh, and I got The Office Season 4 on DVD. My entertainment while in the hospital. So I think it was a day well spent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
What a relief to not have to have the infusions for the magnesium and potassium. I am so glad you like your doctor and that he has such an optimistic attitude. That is something I think would be important. It sounds like you are ready mentally and physically for the transplant. Your attitude is great.....As for P.F. Changs, you re right. The Chang's spicy chicken is awesome. Megan and I went there last week and that is one of the things we had. You have to try the crispy honey shrimp and dan-dan noodles if you haven't already. They are equally good. There are soooooo many good dishes, it is always hard to decide. When the transplant is over and you are able to be out and around, we need to get the whole group together and go there to celebrate!!! Kind of overwhelming, as many of us as there are, but just think how many different dishes we can get to try!
I am praying you continue to do well. You are always in my prayers. Take care, Robin

Anonymous said...

Hey we like The Office too. The next season is about to begin, yay!
Love you! Melanie