Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy First Day of Fall

Today is the first day of Fall! Anyone that knows me well, knows that this is my favorite day of the year. It is the start of the most wonderful season of the year. Some may say that I am a little over obsessive about this time of year, but I just can't help it. Everything about this season just makes me smile and feel all warm inside. I think that if there were a place where it stayed Autumn all year around, I would move there in a heartbeat. Anyone know of such a place? In the meantime I am just hoping to fulfill my dream of going to Vermont for the Fall some year. Actually since my birthday is the first week of October, I always thought that it could be a good birthday present someday since foliage is at it's peak then. I just

know that if I go though I may never want to leave. Who knows maybe life's adventures may take me there someday to live for a while. Now wouldn't my parents love that, even further away than Montana is. (:
I am a little bit sad knowing that my Fall 2008 season is going to be spent indoors avoiding all the little nasties out there in the world. Even so Southern California isn't known best for it's Fall foliage. Palm trees don't change colors I guess. I will just have to purchase many many happy smelling candles to fill my room while I am recovering I guess. Maybe make an apple pie or two, so the house could be filled with a wonderful aroma. Yeah, I think my Dad would appreciate the latter.


As I have been thinking of this time of year and what I would normally be doing I can't help but think of MWSB and the memories that I have there. Being a cook there I would always express my love for this day through my food. My favorite thing to do was to make fall pancakes for breakfast. They would be normal round pancakes but I would dye them with all the fall colors. So it looked like a wonderful array of leaves. I would then either make fall sugar cookie cutouts or fall cupcakes with leaf sprinkles. Believe it or not I
own more fall cookie cutters than Christmas cookie cutters. Last year at the school this day landed on a Sunday. We have this thing where we have our "big meal" for Sunday lunch after church. I remember I made a turkey dinner and apple pies with little fall cutouts in them, just thinking about it makes me happy. Now I am just going to tell of one more of my fond memories that just goes to show how much of a wierdo I am about all of this. At MWSB we have staff meetings every Wednesday afternoon before lunch. They are held at John and Terry's (the director and his wife) home. They had this pumpkin spice candle that I would always want to smell and lite during our staff meetings. The only thing is that it made me laugh and giggle uncontrollably at times because the smell made me so happy. I know what you are thinking, "are you sure there is nothing else in that candle?" I will assure you it was a normal candle, it is just now referred to by many as Lyndsay's "happy candle".
So thanks for bearing with my little blog here about the Fall Season that I love and hold dear to. I know many are probably wondering how I am doing since my last post wasn't such a pleasant one. I am pleased to report that I am feeling better than I was feeling a few days ago. My counts are now down to zero and everything else in my chemistry's looks good. My stomach issue is still there but a lot more bearable. The nausea meds they have me on have been working for the past 2 days and I have been able to get some food down with no vomiting. I still feel far from "normal" but I know that I wont for a while. In the meantime I am watching those plus days go by slowly but surely; today is +4. Now we just have to wait for my white count to start going up, meaning my new cells are engrafting. They say we should expect that sometime between day +14 and day+21.
So Happy First Day of Fall Everyone! Go enjoy it and buy some yummy smelling candles or bake a heavenly apple pie. I will sit here and partake in spirit in my hospital room.

17 comments:

LAURA said...

HI LYNS!

I AM GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE FEELING A LITTLE MORE LIKE YOURSELF. VERY SOON I HOPE YOU WILL FEEL YOURSELF. I WISH I HAD TIME TO BAKE A APPLE PIE BUT I AM STILL RECOPING FROM MY DISASTER, BUT GOOD NEWS THE LAST ROOM IS PAINTED AND THE FURNITURE IS BACK IN. NOW JUST THE CLEAN UP AND ORGANIZING. AS SOON AS THE TEMP GOES DOWN I WILL BE BAKING I AM ALREADY BURNING THE CANDLES.
WE ARE THINKING OF YOU AND PRAYING THAT YOU ARE HOME SOON TOO BAKING THOSE PIES!!!LOVE YOU LOTS!!!!

HUG - LAURA&LEE

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Hurrah! You sound so much more like yourself. I loved your "fall" stories. I can almost smell the apple pie. I love this time of year because it starts getting cooler, dark earlier, and soon it will be "souptime." I love snuggling up with a warm bowl of soup and spending the evenings snuggling up. I have already been burning my candles the past few weeks. At the old house, we had two liquid amber trees that turned color in fall, the only fall colors we got. Mike and I have always wanted to go to Connecticut or upstate New York when the trees were turning. Virginia is supposed to be beautiful in the spring when the cherry trees are blossoming. Would love to go there, too.My mom had pictures of the old family home in Connecticut when they went in fall. It was beautiful. They also had pictures of Virginia in springtime, when she went with my dad on a business trip. Unbelievable! Soon it will be time to go to Oak Glen and get apples (and the litlle apple donuts we all love, and apple cider). I will think of you when I smell those smells and think of your Montana breakfasts and dinner....I never knew how much you loved fall. Keep feeling better, getting stronger, and soon you will be home. Take care, Robin

Christa Forsythe said...

Yeah.. my fall buddy... you sound more like yourself and I love that... yes we are QUITE alike!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyns,

Our prayers are being answered. You have been on all of our minds overtime this last week and you have been a frequent topic of conversation and prayer. We are thankful to hear that you are doing better! Just wanted to thank you for the update. After you are better maybe we can plan a fall excursion for our birthdays and go back to New York :) ! It is my favorite time of the year there too and beautiful where we came from. First week of October is usually the peak of the colors!
Keep getting better and we'll call you soon.

Loads of Love & Prayers,
Pat for all of us

They all send there love.

Team Bowman said...

Hi Lyndsay,

I am so sorry you have been so sick. We will keep praying for you, and we have been thinking of you non-stop.

But it is so good to hear your mind is on other things, good things now!

In no time at all, I know you will be planning that trip that you dream about now. I love the changing of the leaves too! It is like God is reminding the world of how awesome He is!

Hang in there, and keep thinking of the positive.
Lesley

Lesley

JessicaSews said...

Hello Princess of Autumn!
That was a beautiful post with gorgeous photos! I am now looking forward to the leaves turning their pretty colors!
I have spent the last 15 years telling my mom (from Vermont) that she has to move to the Pacific Northwest to enjoy our Fall seasons! Well, I can understand your wanting to live there....it's beautiful!

You and I share the same birthday week! We make an annual trip to Green Bluff and enjoy the apple dumplings, pumpkin picking and festivities! So, this year, I'll be also thinking of you!

I am sooo happy to hear that your doctors/nurses have found a "cocktail" that eases your tummy troubles. You sound more rested!

We're thinking of you! And, about those candles - that just made me smile!! Love picturing you happy!

Lots of Love, Lots of Prayers!
~ Jessica & Family

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Hi, just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. Hope all is continuing to improve, and you are feeling better.
Take care, Robin

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Brandon and Jaimie told me you have had a set-back with an infection. I hope by the time you read this it is under control and you are on your way back up the ladder. I know these things are to be expected, but it still has to be disappointing for you. Hold your head up and keep fighting. Robin

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay:

Every day my wife and I talk about this first week of your new life. Waiting, fighting stomach problems and now standing up to infection -- they are the norm, but not the norm you will know when your body begins churning again with healthy white cells. And that day may be today. We pray it is! You are a wonderful woman with the most incredible optimism! The brilliant Fall colors will be waiting for you when you walk out of UCSD, and tell all of your friends to bake pumpkin pies because you'll be ready for a few extra pounds! Stay strong. Ask for more warm blankets. Know that all your friends at Team in Training are running for you. We will see you healthy and happy soon! Feel our LOVE! -- Greg Dowell / TNT

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyndsay,
I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. know that I am praying for you and that you're talent with food is amazing! You're an inspiration!
Love,
~Stephanie Arakelian~

JessicaSews said...

Dear Lyndsay - Are you feeling a "wee bit" better?
Sending special healing prayers for you today!

Lots of Love,
~ Jessica & family

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Hope you are having better days!
Robin

Anonymous said...

Dear Lyndsay:
WE are praying for you and keeping you in our prayer request list online with our wonderful family of prayer warriors all over the USA. I loved all your thoughts on the fall season I share the same thoughts. Infact since I am having surgery in November I have decided to decorate now for fall and Thanksgiving LOL that way I will be ready for the holidays and be able to rest up. They discovered I have breast cancer in my last couple surgeries so I have a journey to go but I know our Lord will take me each step and one day at a time. I am so encouraged by your journey it is a delight to know you and your faith. Love and blessings to you hope you remember John my husband and Lisa and I. I remember you went camping with us and Lee and Laura up to Kings Canyon and we had such a great time. Sending you a cyber scent of fresh apple pie hope you can smell it!
love the Martinez Family

The Nikkels said...

Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better! I've been checking in daily to see if there have been any updates later this week. I'm hoping things are going so well you just haven't had time to update your blog. This website, http://www.carepages.com might be another way your mom could keep everyone updated. Its a great community where you might even be able to find others going thru the same thing you are. I Have been following along on HGTV forums and praying for you daily!!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay, so glad to hear your spirits are being lifted by the scent of that candle, and the colors and flavors God graces us with in the autumn!
Here's hoping the blood count starts poking up a bit at a time and will be "normal" before too long. Isn't it good to know that's all already under control and all you have to do is accept His guidance through it!

All the HGTV ladies are sending prayers for you and your family and friends...as this affects all!

Sherry B. (sassy needlepusher)

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay,
Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better soon. I know these are tough times for you and your parents, but hope soon you will have a reason to celebrate. Robin

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyndsay,

Its so good to hear your doing better and that surgery went well. Its funny, you came to mind the other day, when i was looking at all the leaves turning into brilliant oranges, reds, and yellows. (didn't know fall was your fave. season) I praying for you and i will be thinking of you at Canadian thanksgiving when Mum lights her pumpkin candles.
luv in Him,
Shea